AECI’S SPECIALTY CHEMICALS CLUSTER COMPRISES 16 BUSINESSES, EACH FOCUSED ON SPECIFIC MARKETS WITH COMMON VALUES OF INNOVATIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND BOTTOM LINE DELIVERY. HISTORICALLY, THE CLUSTER HAS GROWN BY ACQUISITION AND BY ORGANIC GROWTH.
Each business in the cluster aspires to be the supplier of choice for customers in its markets, supported by the best technology available, a carefully designed service package and with the lowest possible cost base. Technology is sourced from international partners and is also developed in-house. Full service package business models provide customers with innovative solutions to their chemistry-driven requirements and differentiate AECI’s businesses from competitors in terms of skills, competencies and value-add for customers.
In 2011 the remaining major capital investment projects which commenced in 2007 were completed and commissioned.
The cluster’s strategy is to:
- expand its mining chemicals product and service offering in South Africa, the rest of Africa and in other geographical areas where the full service model is valued and the mining profile fits the cluster companies’ capabilities. Senmin, Chemical Initiatives and ImproChem are driving this strategic thrust;
- expand its water-, oil-, gas- and energy-related product and service offering from Southern Africa to the rest of Africa and to other geographical areas where the full service model is appropriate. ImproChem is the vehicle for the push out of Southern Africa;
- explore opportunities for sales of specialist products and services offered by the global and regional focus on food production and preservation and agriculture. Lake International Technologies is at the forefront of this;
- grow its joint venture business in Brazil, based on oleochemical expertise it shares with its partner, move into other sectors where the partnership has appropriate expertise and seek other investment opportunities; and
- manage and grow its South African portfolio.